Cannelloni with Meat… the mother of Manicotti. A great pasta recipe. Excellent for all major Holidays and special occasions.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Crepes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- 1 pound mixed ground meat (beef, veal and pork)
- 84 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound prosciutto di Parma
- 1 cup diced mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup white wine
- fresh black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- extra virgin olive oil
Make the Crepes:
- In a bowl mix well all the crepes ingredients to get a very liquid batter.
- Add some butter to a Crepe pan, make it hot and pour 1 ladle of batter.
- Move the batter quickly around the bottom of the pan to cover the entire bottom uniformly and evenly.
- Cook for about 1-2 mins. Flip the crepe… if you are capable, and slide the finished crepe into a plate for later use.
- Make all your crepes and set aside.
- In a pot, add 3 Tbs of olive oil and the onion finely chopped.
- Saute` the onion until translucent and add the meat.
- Saute` the meat for a few mins and add the white wine.
- Let the alcohol evaporate and add the tomato sauce.
- Cook the meat for about 40 mins. at medium heat.
- Once cooked, let the meat cool a bit and drain the excess sauce.
- Put the meat in a food processor, add the prosciutto and run the food processor for about 10 secs.
- Pour the content in a bowl, add the mozzarella, Parmigiano cheese, fresh black pepper as desired and a dash of nutmeg.
- Cover an oven pan with a layer of the tomato sauce.
- Take each crepe, deposit two Tbs of filling on one side of the crepe, spread it longways and roll the crepe.
- Deposit the Cannellone in the pan.
- Prepare all you Cannelloni to fill the pan.
- Cover each Cannellone with sauce and a generous sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese.
- Bake for 20 mins. at 400F